Sunday 4 May 2014

Ingredient Focus: Avocado


After my previous ingredient focus post on honey (which you can find here) I had a few people
 tell me that they found it really interesting, and asked whether I would be doing any similar posts.
 I hope to do a whole series of these posts, and so I decided to focus on the benefits of avocado 
for the second ingredient focus post.

Avocado, delicious in its own right, has many benefits for both the skin and the hair. The good fats
 contained in avocados provide many nutrients including vitamins A, B, C and E as well as 
minerals such as iron and potassium. With many health benefits they really are a super food, but I'm
 going to tell you how avocados can help us look great on the outside as well as feeling good on 
the inside. 

Skin: When used as a butter (produced from the flesh of the avocado) the fruit is very hydrating
 as it softens and soothes the skin. If your skin is a little thirsty it will drink up the moisturising
 properties of avocado and will certainly thank you for it later. Avocado also contains
 antioxidants which help protect against free radicals and in turn eliminates wrinkles and prevents
 premature signs of ageing. Avocado oil is also thought to be great for reducing the visibility 
of age spots, fine lines and scarring. All in all avocado is pretty much your skins best friend.

Hair: Avocado oil has been used for centuries in products such as hair conditioners and masks
 as it is nutrient rich and restores health. Dry, brittle hair will benefit from avocado oil as it is
 rich, nourishing and softening. The oil increases the tensile strength of the hair (that is how far you 
can pull it before it snaps) as well as adding a gorgeous shine. 

This healthy, natural ingredient is basically a health and beauty marvel, particularly for those 
with dry or ageing skin. Will you be incorporating avocado based products into your beauty routine? 

8 comments :

  1. i've actually never had avacado by itself, only in guac! i must try it out solo - so many great benefits!
    xxx
    http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's delicious! You should try it in a chicken salad.
      Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  2. I have been trying to eat more avocados & I never knew they had so many health benefits. I put them in my morning Smoothies, I have to disguise them in there as my husband hates the taste. He will drink them if I add banana & Almond milk. I like these food related posts
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha what a great idea to keep you and your husband healthy.
      I'm glad you are enjoying these posts :) x

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love avocados. I eat them straight out of the shell as a snack, sprinkled with a little lime juice and some Mallorcan sea salt. Delicious!

    I read something somewhere that dogs living in an avocado orchard have the glossiest coats around and that image has always stuck with me! x

    Katy | Little Miss Katy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm sprinkled with salt sounds amazing!
      I never knew that about the dogs coats but it does explain a lot :)

      Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  4. I've never been a fan of Avocado except in guacamole. I'm hoping I may acquire a taste for it soon! But it sounds like a great product, and I'm determined to get more of it in my diet. If not, I'll make an avocado facemask and smother it all over me!

    Great, informative post :)

    Jo xx
    She Wears Burgundy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if you can't bare to eat it then at least reap the benefit by using it in your cosmetics :)

      Thanks for reading x

      Delete